Wednesday, July 27, 2016

My Singapore Travel Diary, Thursday, July 21, 2016

Slept 2:00 AM - 7:30 AM.

I seem to see more Filipinos around me now. They are hotel guests rather than staff members. Spent time in my room reading through the main workshop participants' group script. iPhone is working for now, and I am able to post stuff in cyberspace.

1:30 PM. Going down to the lobby. I love this hotel for providing two room cards. That way I can leave the power on even when I am out. I recall that atchay hotels will give you one card only, because they suspect other people of things that they themselves are guilty of.

Looking at street signs with unfamiliar names. Whenever I am here I know all of them by heart, and then I forget all of them when I get home. I believe it is to prevent myself from being in two places at the same time.

Early dinner in a Chinese coffee shop. I have learned to say "Pohk chuh" instead of "pork chop"; I am easier understood that way. Am also a bit distressed that I conveniently say "Can" and "Cannot" rather than express myself in complete sentences. I raise my cigarette pack, for example, and ask the waitress, "Can?" She nods and replies, "Can."

In the theatre, TT and the staff are all in black, looking like the staff of a Southeast Asian Theatre des Vampyrs.

Evening, 4th main workshop session. Yesterday and today, exercises in emotional truth. They are exhausting not only for all of the participants but also for myself.

We are holding a reading of the first part of Shen's play in this session. It allows the participants to see how dramaturgy goes.

Fehzah was absent yesterday because she sprained her ankle. She is in tonight but her right foot is bandaged. After the workshop I take her aside and massage her foot.

11:00 PM. Back in the hotel. I love how the door jambs are lined with LED lights.

The Chinese movies on TV have the same style of opening and end titles.

Slept 1:00 AM - 7:20 AM.

Dreamt of being in an old apartment and having to organize what I can only recall as history books, then of Eva B. entrusting her wayward nephew to me. I dread having to analyze it and interpret its meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment